Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rude People

I have always tried to be courteous and use my manners. I was always taught to say "Yes, ma'am" and "Excuse me." I try to instill those traits in my children by my example.
Today I encountered several rude people. Was it National Rude Day and no one told me?
I went to a car wash in an adjoining county. I had some nickels and dimes that needed to be converted into quarters so I could use the vacuum. I asked the attendant if I could get some change, in which he replied, "The change machine is over by the door." I explained to him that I had change but needed quarters and he said, "Well, I would have to go inside to do that..." and walked off. Hello?
So, I left that car wash and went to another that took my debit card. Sometimes personal service is not such a good thing.
I then go to the big store of all stores...the small town wondermall. I want to purchase Ella one of those cheesy plastic pools. I go to the Lawn & Garden section and kindly ask the sales lady if I could please purchase one of the small pools out front. She asked me if I know the price. Well, I know it's eight dollars and something...it was the cheapest one outside. So, I ask her just to give me the cheap one. She wants to know which one that is. She is very upset with me 'cause I don't know which one is the cheapest one? I don't know...look at your price list. I just want the pool. I'll buy one of each. Just check me out so I can go home. It's not brain surgery.
I understand that everyone has a bad day. I have them too. So I'm giving every rude person I encountered today the benefit of the doubt. Tomorrow will be a better day. Let's all get up and say our "Please" and "Thank You's" they're the magic words.
Hey, wait a minute....isn't that a Barney song....I've been watching too much cartoons.

No comments: