Thursday, May 8, 2008

Derby Pie and Cellulite

These two go hand in hand, I promise. My mother in law knows I am on a diet. I mention it 500 times a day. She also knows that I love Derby Pie. She knows that I will have no self control....will sneak over to her house....into her garage....into the extra refrigerator....and eat pie. I have no shame. So what has she done twice in the past week? Made DERBY PIE. I am proud to say they are all gone now and there will be no more. Not because I have any self restraint....but because my mother in law is gone to Gulf Shores. Although, I do have the recipe if I start craving ...

Derby Pie is a staple here in the Bluegrass State. Kern's Kitchens in Louisville, Kentucky has placed an iron-clad trademark on their recipe and the name "Derby pie". There are many variations on Derby pie...some use bourbon...some pecans. However, the closest version of the Kern's recipe I have come across is the one my mother in law uses.



We'll call it: Faye's Derby Pie

Crust for 1 9 inch pie (pre-made is fine...we are not food snobs)

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup flour

2 beaten eggs

1/4 lb (1 stick) butter-melted (this needs to be real butter...we are not counting calories)

1 cup walnuts (never pecans)

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (you may eat the rest of the bag as your reward for trying to be Martha Stewart)

whipped cream



Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line pie crust with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes until crust begins to brown. Remove foil and continue to bake another 5 minutes or so until crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool.

In a bowl, combine sugar and flour. Whisk eggs into mixture, then whisk in melted butter. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour into a cooled pre baked pie crust.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until center just barely jiggles (like my ass).

Top with whipped cream. Eat whole pie in one setting while still warm. Enjoy!

P.S. For an extra kick...you can add 2 tsp of bourbon to your whipped cream.

No comments: