Sunday, June 8, 2008

I Am....

I am from pink depression glass, Bell Bakery doughnuts and the St. Marks United Methodist cookbook.
I am from the house on four acres with motorcycle and go-kart trails.
I am from honeysuckles, praying mantis and grapevine swings.
I am from birthday cakes for Jesus on Christmas day and "Are you savvy?", from Great Granny Ella and her tin can snuff and Ann and Tootie & Chris.
I am from the short tempered and stubborn and the meek and mild.
From "Don't talk to your momma that way!" and "Do you have ants in your pants?"
I am from vacation bible school and John 3:16 and Sunday potluck dinners.
I am from John Prine's "Take Me Back To Muhlenberg County" and Peabody's coal and River Queen and Paradise.
I am from Granny's turkey and dressing and pear honey perserves and ham and cheese sandwiches served in pie tins.
I am from Vietnam draft cards, the USS Pope and foreward observers and tunnel rats, from bouffant hair and marrying young and Winnebagos.
I am from Myrtle Beach camping trips, swimming trunks with cowboy boots and waterslides.
I am from photo albums with tissue paper, folded American flags, and shadowboxes of war medals, worn bibles, homemade quilts and love.


Oh, what a walk down memory lane. I read one of these poems on a new blog I've been checking out (www.blindpigandtheacorn.com). What a wonderful find.
Everyone should try this. It's amazing how your mind finds those great childhood memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh we are from so many of the same things! Makes me feel like I already know you. Even makes me wonder if we are about the same age too. We come from a great place!

And thank you for mentioning me!

Big Pissy said...

That was just lovely.

Thanks for sharing your memories. :)